Saturday, September 22, 2012

Whitney Houston - Being Black

YouTube
Whitney: My root is not black. My root is gospel. My root is not R&B. My root is gospel music. That's where I come from. I come out of the church. Gospel is not something that you can categorize. It's not black. It's not white. It is a feeling. It is soul. It comes from the soul. It's something that you can't deny. If I wanted to, I couldn't........I try to deliver that in everything that I do.

My Opinion: Whitney was very mature in music. People said that she wasn't black enough, but I don't think some people really know what the meaning of black is. Whitney Houston was a mature black woman that sung from the soul. She was on a much higher level than hip hop. Being black doesn't mean that you are always  down and out. One day you might be down and the next day you might be up. One day you might sing about love and the next day you might sing about something else. One day you might sing one song one way and the next day the same song a different way. It all depends on how the spirit hits you. Nobody knows how you come and go. People can't figure you out when you are strong and spiritual. They know you have something and not like everybody else. So people covet and try to put a label on you because you won't go with the crowd. But when there is a spirit in you, you have to flow with that spirit. You can't be everybody else. That is what made Whitney Houston unique, and there will never be another Whitney Houston. God made only one. All of the things that people said about Whitney being black was just people that covet. God said, "Thou Shalt not covet anything that is thy neighbor's." It is the Tenth Commandment that God wrote. If you want something, ask God. The same God that gave Whitney is the same God that can give you too. All you have to do is ask. There is no need to covet and lie on anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment