Saturday, November 6, 2021

The Postcard


 
By: Gail Nobles


It was back in the 80’s when I wrote Whitney Houston a letter. I didn’t know anything about her trials and tribulations, but I knew there might be some hard times for her like anyone else in life. So I sat down and wrote Whitney a Christian letter. I really liked her a lot and saw her as a person. I thought, “I don’t know why I’m writing Whitney. I know I probably won’t hear from her. Them Hollywood stars always talking about they busy. All they got to do is slap a stamp on an envelope.” Well lol, that’s the way I thought. That’s the way a teenager should have thought about a celebrity in those days. It was normal though celebrities get lots of fan mail. I didn’t understand. 

Well, as time went on, I had forgotten all about the letter I had sent off in the mail to Whitney. I don’t even remember what I wrote to her. I think I remember writing something about Moses and telling her not to give up. The day I was writing her, I do remember having that part on my mind.

One day I came home from school. When I got home, mom was standing in the doorway with a little tiny smile on her face. Just a tiny one. I knew something was up. She was looking at me and wouldn’t take her eyes off of me. Now that I think about it, she saw herself. She knew what she had in herself and knew about what I would do. I asked mom what was wrong.

She said, “You got a surprise in the mail.” Mom handed me a postcard from Whitney’s fanclub. I don’t remember writing to Whitney’s fanclub, but anyway, I got a postcard. Mom asked, “What’s the matter?”

I said, “Mom, Whitney might not have gotten my letter. How do I know she got it? It probably got into the hands of someone else. She didn’t actually answer me. This is fanclub stuff.”

Mom said, “She might have gotten it. At least you got something. You could have got nothing.”

I held the postcard in my hand for a long time examining what was on the card. I put the card aside and right this very day I don’t know what I did with that postcard. I wish I had the mind then like the mind I have now today lol. Like I said, I didn’t understand.



No comments:

Post a Comment